Commission Meeting Agenda Item
Consideration of the First and Final Reading of Resolution 2019-111 Relating to an Increase to the Special Assessment for Fire Protection Services
Staff Recommended Motion
Approval of the first and final reading of Resolution 2019-106 relating to an increase to the Special Assessment for Fire Protection Services from $90.11 yearly to $124.00 yearly.
The Villages Fire Protection Services has requested an increase in the Fire Assessment fees from $90.11 yearly to $124.00 yearly.
The hearing was advertised via an ad in the daily newspaper.
Projected Revenue of $1,083,184.00 — These funds are collected and turned over to The Villages Fire Protection Services.
Source of Funding
Revenue — Operating (in and out).
Draft Resolution 2019-111
A RESOLUTION OF THE TOWN OF LADY LAKE, FLORIDA; RELATING TO THE IMPOSTION OF A SPECIAL ASSESSMENT FOR FIRE PROTECTION SERVICES WITHIN THE VILLAGES FIRE PROTECTION SPECIAL ASSESSMENT DISTRICT; PROVIDING A DESCRIPTION OF FIRE PROTECTION SERVICES, FACILITIES OR PROGRAMS TO BE PROVIDED WITHIN THE VILLAGES FIRE PROTECTION SPECIAL ASSESSMENT DISTRICT; DETERMINING THE FIRE PROTECTION SERVICES COSTS TO BE ASSESSED; DESCRIBING THE METHOD OF APPORTIONING FIRE PROTECTION SERVICES ASSESSED COSTS; ESTABLISHING AN ASSESSMENT RATE FOR THE UPCOMING FISCAL YEARS UNTIL THE ASSESSMENT IS DISCONTINUED OR CHANGED; ESTABLISHING A MAXIMUM ASSESSMENT RATE; APPROVING THE ASSESSMENT ROLL; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
WHEREAS, the Town Commission adopted Resolution 2003-101, electing to use the uniform method of collecting Non-Ad Valorem special Assessments for fire protection services for that portion of the Town of Lady Lake located within The Villages and certain parcels in close proximity to The Villages identified as The Villages Fire Protection Special Assessment District (referred to herein as “The Villages Fire Protection District” or “The Villages Fire Protection Special Assessment District”); and
WHEREAS, the Town Commission has executed an Interlocal agreement with the Villages Center Community Development District (the “District”) wherein the District provides Fire Protection Services within The Villages Fire Protection District and the Town remits fire protection assessments to the District as compensation for said services; and
WHEREAS, the Town Commission adopted Ordinance 2003-14, which was amended by Ordinance 2005-08, setting forth the authority for the creation of The Villages Fire Protection District and prescribing the administrative process for preparing the assessment roll, adopting an assessment rate, providing notice of the assessment rate to property owners and describing the method of collection and use of assessments; and
WHEREAS, in accordance with Resolution 2003-101 and Ordinance 2005-08, the Town has identified those properties that will receive special benefits from the provisions of Fire Protection Services, and pursuant to information provided by the District, has estimated the cost of providing Fire Protection Services to said properties; and
WHEREAS, the District has apportioned the tentative cost of providing Fire Protection Services to residential and non-residential property, and proposed a rate of $124.00 per residential unit and a range of four cents to 29 cents per square foot of non-residential property as shown on Exhibit A; and
WHEREAS, the Town Manager and the District have established an initial assessment roll identifying all property within The Villages Fire Protection District that will receive special benefits from the provision of Fire Protection Services; and
WHEREAS, the final rate of assessment for properties within The Villages Fire Protection District will be established by the Town Commission at a public hearing on September 4, 2019 upon the adoption of a Final Assessment Resolution, and said rates will not exceed the maximum rates set forth herein; and
WHEREAS, notice of the September 4, 2019 public hearing shall be published in a newspaper of general circulation in Lake County at least ten calendar days prior to said hearing, and individual notices via TRIM notices shall be mailed to owners of property identified on the initial assessment roll providing notification of the public hearing.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Town Commission of the Town of Lady Lake, Florida,
This ordinance shall become effective immediately upon final passage by the Town Commission.
- The Town Commission of Lady Lake has established a special assessment district within The Villages portion of the Town and certain parcels in close proximity thereto as described in Ordinance 2005-08, wherein Fire Protection Services are provided to residential and non-residential property pursuant to an Interlocal agreement between the Town and the District.
- The Fire Protection Services provided within The Villages Fire Protection District include fire prevention, fire suppression, cause and origin, rescue/first responder services as to non-fire related emergencies, the inspection of residential and commercial structures as deemed necessary by the District or as requested by the Town and the review of blueprints and similar documents with regard to fire safety codes and regulations.
- The District has estimated that the preliminary cost to be assessed for Fire Protection Services to be approximately $1,300,000, which represents the estimated Fire Protection Services assessment revenue to be collected within The Villages Fire Protection District for fiscal year October 1, 2019 through September 30, 2020.
- The Town Commission has determined that the assessment costs shall be apportioned between residential and non-residential property based upon the classification of each parcel and the number of billing units contained therein.
- The estimated cost of providing Fire Protection Services to residential properties has been determined to be $124.00 per residential unit or billing unit. The estimated cost of providing Fire Protection Services to non-residential properties has been determined to be 29 cents per square foot for Commercial property, four cents per square foot for Industrial/Warehouse property and 29 cents per square foot for Institutional property.
- The Town Commission has determined that the rates set forth above shall be the maximum rates that are necessary to provide Fire Protection Services in the fiscal year October 1, 2019 through September 30, 2020, and the Town Commission has determined that the Fire Protection Services assessments shall not exceed the rates contained herein.
- The Town Commission hereby approves the assessment roll for The Villages Fire Protection District that is on file in the Town Clerk’s Office.
- The Town Commission hereby adopts a Final Assessment Rate for Fire Protection Services for residential and non-residential property within the Villages Fire Protection District as set forth in Paragraph 5 above.
- The Final Assessment Rate adopted here under shall be for Fiscal Year 2020 and each subsequent fiscal year thereafter until discontinued or changed. Provided, however, the Town shall prepare an assessment roll each fiscal year and continue to provide notice of the Assessment Rate by first class mail to property owners for parcels that were not included on the assessment roll for the previous fiscal year or for parcels that were reclassified or reassessed in such a way that the fire assessment increased from the previous year. Said notice shall be mailed to the affected property owners prior to September 1 each year through TRIM notices.
- This Resolution shall become effective upon adoption.
RESOLVED this 4th day of September, 2019, in Lady Lake, Florida, by the Lady Lake Town Commission.
Town of Lady Lake, Florida
Jim Richards, Mayor
Kristen Kollgaard, Town Clerk
Approved as to form:
Derek Schroth, Town Attorney