Commission Meeting Minutes
Draft Minutes of the July 19, 2021, 6 p.m. Commission Meeting
The regular meeting of the Lady Lake Town Commission was held in the Commission Chambers at Lady Lake Town Hall, 409 Fennell Blvd., Lady Lake, Florida, with Mayor Ruth Kussard presiding. The meeting convened at 6 p.m.
A. Call to Order
Mayor Ruth Kussard
By Reverend Matt Malott – New Life Christian Church
C. Pledge of Allegiance
D. Roll Call
Derek Schroth, Town Attorney; Thad Carroll, Growth Management Director; C.T. Eagle, Public Works Director; Pam Winegardner, Finance Director; Lori Sadler, Library Director; Wendy Then, Senior Planner; Deputy Chief Jason Brough, Officer Heather Couch and Officer Ryan Doran, Lady Lake Police Department; and Nancy Slaton, Town Clerk
1. Minutes — June 21, 2021 — Special (Conceptual) Commission Meeting
2. Minutes — June 21, 2021 — Commission Meeting
3. Minutes — June 29, 2021 — Commission Workshop Meeting
4. Consideration of the Mutual Agreement for Pavement Management—Preservation Services for the Fiscal Year 2020—2021 Annual Street Resurfacing Project (C. T. Eagle) (The background summary for this item is on file in the Clerk’s Office.)
5. Consideration to Utilize Second COVID-19 Reimbursement Funds Received through Lake County (Pam Winegardner) (The background summary for this item is on file in the Clerk’s Office.)
6. Consideration of Approval to Accept the Proposed New Paygrade Adjustments (Pam Winegardner) (The background summary for this item is on file in the Clerk’s Office.)
7. Consideration of Approval of the Re-Opener Changes to the Agreement between the Town of Lady Lake (TOLL) and the Florida Police Benevolent Association (PBA) for the Period of October 1, 2021 through September 30, 2022 (Tamika DeLee) (The background summary for this item is on file in the Clerk’s Office.)
Mayor Kussard asked if there were any questions or comments from the Commissioners regarding the Consent items. There were no comments.
Commissioner Holden motioned to approve Consent Items E-1 through E-7. Commissioner Hannan seconded the motion. The motion passed by a vote of 5 to 0.
F. New Business
8. Consideration of Approval to Reject the Bid Received for Bid #2021-0002 — Construction of Well #4 and Well #5, and to Re-advertise the Previously Approved Bid #2021-0002 Documents (C.T. Eagle)
Public Works Director C.T. Eagle presented the background summary for this item.
Mayor Kussard asked if there were any questions or comments from the Commissioners. There were no comments.
Commissioner Hannan motioned to approve rejecting the bid received for Bid #2021-0002 — Construction of Well #4 and Well #5, and to approve re-advertising the previously approved Bid #2021-0002 documents. Commissioner Vincent seconded the motion. The motion passed by a vote of 5 to 0.
9. Consideration of Approval of the Roof Repair at the Library (Lori Sadler)
Library Director Lori Sadler presented the background summary for this item. She stated Mr. Eagle is also present to answer any questions.
Mayor Kussard asked if there were any questions or comments from the Commissioners. She asked how long it may take to repair the roof.
Ms. Sadler replied that she has been told it will take about one week to repair.
Commissioner Hannan asked if we have to put this repair out to bid.
Mr. Eagle replied that this repair by the vendor named is based upon a recommendation by the material manufacturer; it is a vendor-specific repair. He stated if they went out to bid for this repair, we might have to deal with people who do not normally work on this type of roof.
Commissioner Rietz motioned to approve the roof repair at the Library. Commissioner Hannan seconded the motion. The motion passed by a vote of 5 to 0.
10. Consideration of an Appointment to the Town of Lady Lake’s Parks, Recreation and Tree Advisory Committee (Nancy Slaton)
Town Clerk Nancy Slaton presented the background summary for this agenda item. She noted that Mr. Weber has volunteered at the Parks and Recreation facilities with Mr. Burske in the past.
Commissioner Hannan stated he knows Mr. Weber and feels he will be a good addition to this committee.
Mr. Fred Weber introduced himself and confirmed he has worked with Mr. Burske in the past. He stated he is grateful to the Town for building the discus circle at the Rolling Acres Sports Complex a while back. He stated he will be honored to work with the Town.
Commissioner Hannan motioned to approve the appointment of Fred Weber to the Town of Lady Lake Parks, Recreation and Tree Advisory Committee. Commissioner Rietz seconded the motion. The motion passed by a vote of 5 to 0.
Mayor Kussard thanked Mr. Weber for volunteering, and he was applauded by all.
G. Town Attorney's Report
11. Resolution 2021-106 (First and Final Reading) — Declaration of Qualifying Dates for the Office of Town Commissioner for Wards One, Three, and Five for the November 2, 2021 General Election; and Authorization to Request that the Lake County Supervisor of Elections Conduct the Election (Nancy Slaton)
Town Attorney Derek Schroth read the title of the resolution.
The Town Clerk presented the background summary for this resolution. She also requested that the Commission authorize the request for the Lake County Supervisor of Elections to conduct the election. She noted that the qualifying period was moved up a couple of weeks from the dates required by state statute at the request of the Supervisor of Elections Office.
Mayor Kussard asked if the Commissioners or anyone from the public had any comments or questions. Hearing none, she asked for a motion.
Upon a motion by Commissioner Hannan and a second by Commissioner Rietz, the Commission approved the first and final reading of Resolution 2021-106, by the following roll call vote:
Upon a motion by Commissioner Rietz and a second by Commission Vincent, the Commission approved the authorization for the Lake County Supervisor of Elections to conduct the election, by a vote of 5 to 0.
H. Town Manager's Report
Growth Management Director Thad Carroll stated he was sitting in for Town Manager Bill Lawrence, who is out of town. He reported that a couple of issues came up in the past week. A couple of lightning strikes occurred, with one causing a limb to come down in Heritage Park. He stated the Parks and Recreation Director acted quickly, and the large limb was removed within five hours after three companies were contacted for quotes.
I. Mayor and Commissioner's Report
Mayor Kussard asked if any of the Commissioners had anything to report. She stated one of the residents asked if there will be toilet facilities at the new park which is being designed. After talking to the Parks and Recreation Director, she found it is not budgeted, but may need to be planned for in the future.
Mayor Kussard stated that the paths at the Rolling Acres complex around the back and near the dog park need some improvement as they are part gravel, part cement, and part grass. She stated the Town may need to do some paving and perhaps put in a retention pond. Mayor Kussard stated a lot of people use this park and many walk around it also.
Commissioner Vincent stated this brought to mind the failing Rolling Acres Road. He asked if a joint meeting could be scheduled between the Town Commissioners and the County Commissioners regarding Rolling Acres Road to see what they plan to do.
Commissioner Hannan stated that perhaps the District 5 representative could be invited to a Commission meeting.
Mayor Kussard noted that the Town’s District County Commissioner is Josh Blake.
Commissioner Hannan mentioned there are water run-off issues at the Paradise Park softball field, and the special sand is washed into the storm drains. He stated he made a complaint several years ago.
Mayor Kussard stated this is an issue that should be taken care of by The Villages.
Mr. Carroll stated that he and the Public Works Director could get together and see who is responsible for this. He asked if they could get pictures or that they be notified next time it occurs.
Commissioner Rietz confirmed that the area the Mayor was talking about is behind the soccer field and near the dog park. This was discussed further, and it was noted the budget may need to be modified to include some improvements.
J. Public Comments
Mayor Kussard asked if there were any comments from the audience.
Mr. Fred Weber of 703 Sharon Drive stated he was glad to hear the issue of Rolling Acres complex come up. He agreed something needs to be done to repair that area.
David Sirdar of Fruitland Park talked about various issues of interest to himself.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 6:29 p.m.
Nancy Slaton, Town Clerk
Ruth Kussard, Mayor
Minutes transcribed by Nancy Slaton, Town Clerk