Application to rezone land under the Land Development Regulations Code may be initiated by the landowner(s), Town, Planning and Zoning Board or the Town Commission. The requirements of this section are in addition to the requirements of applicable State Law.
- The applicant may request a meeting with the Town staff to discuss the appropriate zoning district classification for the proposed use of the property. Potential issues regarding the proposed rezoning and the verification of the steps necessary for application and review may be discussed.
- Applications shall be made on the appropriate forms provided by the Town and shall be accompanied by the appropriate review fee.
- Applications shall include a legal description of the property, sketch or survey of the property, proof of ownership, and authorization from the owner if represented by an agent or contract purchaser. If the rezoning is to Manufactured Homes High Density (MH-9), a Master Park Plan shall be submitted.
- Applications for rezoning shall be submitted no later than fourteen days in advance of the regularly scheduled TRC meeting in order to be considered at that meeting.
- The Applicant will be informed of the date and time of the TRC meeting for which the application is scheduled.
Notification of Public Hearings
- The Town shall send notice of the proposed rezoning to the owners of all adjoining properties within 150 feet of the subject property, as well as to any owners of the subject property not party to the application, at least two weeks prior to the Planning and Zoning Board hearing.
- At least seven days prior to the Planning and Zoning Board hearing, the applicant shall post the property that is the subject of the rezoning with signs, provided by the Town, notifying the public of the proposed rezoning. The signs shall be spaced, at a minimum, along all public road frontages, with a minimum of one sign per 500 feet along any one frontage.
- The Town shall have the notice of public hearing published in a newspaper of general circulation within the Town at least ten days prior to the final Town Commission meeting. Notice shall also be posted in a conspicuous location at the Town Hall, and may be posted at other public locations at the discretion of the Town.
- All submittals shall be reviewed by the TRC and recommendations shall be made to the Planning and Zoning Board.
- The Planning and Zoning Board shall consider every rezoning at a public hearing and make recommendations to the Town Commission.
- The Town Commission shall consider recommendations of the Planning and Zoning Board before taking action. However, if the Planning and Zoning Board fails to make a recommendation within 30 days of the rezoning’s first consideration by that body, then the Town Commission may take action based upon an assumed recommendation of approval from the Board. There shall be two readings of the rezoning ordinance by the Commission.
- If an application for rezoning is denied by the Town Commission, subsequent application for similar rezoning on any portion of the same parcel of property may not be made for 12 months from the date of Town Commission denial, unless specifically authorized by the Town Commission.
The above requirements are intended to provide a general overview of the rezoning process. Rezoning requirements are specified in the Town of Lady Lake Land Development Regulations, Chapter 3, Section 3-3.
For further information, please contact the Growth Management Department.