Finance & Human Resources Specialist
Under general supervision performs clerical, accounting and human resources duties for the processing of the Town’s deposit maintenance of street assessment account, payment of accounts payable and human resources matters.
The hourly range is $16.54-26.46. It is a non- exempt position.
The Town provides 100% paid employee health insurance, dental insurance, long-term disability, life and accidental death insurance. The Town also provides 50% paid dependent health insurance, a 401a retirement plan that is fully vested after three years, paid time off, and paid holidays. Employees have the option of purchasing additional life insurance, short-term disability insurance, accident insurance, critical illness insurance, and vision insurance at reduced rates.
This position will remain open until filled.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Serves as back up for receiving from five departments and processes monies coming into the Town. Prepares deposits and posts into the computer system.
2. Establishes each year’s new blankets list including assigning numbers, distributing list to departments and adding or removing as needed. Verifies codes and creates blanket purchase orders from invoices and statements for input into the computer for payment.
3. Responsible for entering purchase orders, matching invoices, verifying quantity, and quality, watching for compliance on limits for all types of purchase orders, contacting vendors for missing or incorrect invoices, entering invoices/creating AP batch/reconcile batch to paper invoices/statements, print checks and interface with pooled bank account by sending list of checks through positive pay to prevent fraud.
4. Maintains spreadsheet of revenue accounts to ensure receipt of all monies due the Town.
5. Assists the Accountant in the performance of utility billing maintenance and processing as required including daily utility department receivables, and daily utility department backups.
6. Follows up with payroll process such as sending child support and pension/retirements monies for both the police department and general employees to their respective entities among other EFT funds in.
7. Assists Staff Accountant as backup in daily bank reconciliation and submitting monthly bank draft files. Also handles voids, NSF or other returned checks in the system and applies the proper penalty charge prior to returning to the department that processed the check. Clears cancelled checks and generates reconciled and outstanding check registers for bank reconciliation.
8. Maintains records of code liens placed on property and other accounts receivable due to the Town.
9. Creates spreadsheets as necessary for proper allocation of expense for electric, water, phone, cell phone, etc.
10. Prepares fiscal year-end and new fsiscal year entries such as pre-paid, tracking old year/new year paid invoices, fixed asset listing for annual Town audit.
11. Assists the Finance Department and Utility Department with computer problems, has extensive knowledge of utility department serving as guidance and back up for the Utility department.
12. Other duties are keeping travel request forms and information in compliance with town policy including current mileage rates, correct per diem, and review all travel request after town manager approval and travel reimbursements. Duties also include entering new vendors and keeping them updated, collecting w-9 forms as needed.
13. Provide backup support for the Finance staff members in their absence
14. Inputs, accesses, and retrieves various data from the computer. Sorts departmental mail, orders and assists in the maintenance and inventory of office supplies and the preparation of purchase orders.
15. Works effectively with the public, department heads, officials, personnel, and visitors. Answers questions from prospective job applicants regarding current opening, job requirements and procedures. Accepts and tracks job applications for posting vacancies.
16. Assists with posting and advertising job openings and vacancy announcements on bulletin boards and ensures website reflects the same announcements.
17. Assists with maintaining a monthly employee newsletter.
18. Assists with new employee sign-ups, pre-employment, and new hire orientation.
19. Assists with departmental record keeping including gathering information for personnel reports, surveys public records request and statistical analysis.
20. Assists with preparation of (PAF’s) in coordination with transfers, promotions, annual evaluations, and separations for Manager’s approval.
21. Assists the Human Resources Administrative Assistant with job related designated tasks assigned.
1. Knowledge of the Town’s purchasing and human resources policies, procedures, and State of Florida Uniform chart account system.
2. Knowledge of business English and spelling
3. Knowledge of office practices and procedures
4. Knowledge of office practices and procedures experience preferred.
5. Knowledge and experience in preparing and working in Word and Excel.
6. Knowledge of computers and relevant software. (THE Sungard software experience preferred).
7. Ability to maintain complex records, assemble, and organize data.
8. Ability to learn the policies, procedures and functions of governmental personnel work.
9. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
10. Ability to greet and present information to the public in a mature pleasant manner.
11. Ability to gain knowledge of all department functions.
12. Ability to pay attention to detail.
13. Ability to maintain confidential information.
14. Ability to work with other employees and the public in a tactful, diplomatic manner.
15. Ability to communicate effectively with other employees and the public over the telephone and in person.
Education and Experience
1. High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) equivalency required.
2. At least three years’ experience in bookkeeping or accounts maintenance, including the operation of a computer.
3. Must have at least two years general clerical experience.
4. Must be proficient in various software program, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations
Possession of valid driver's license.
Essential Physical Skills
1. Ability to access file cabinets for filing and retrieval of date.
2. Ability to view stationary display screen for extended periods.
3. Ability to access input and retrieve information from a computer.
4. Ability to communicate with individuals in person and telephonically.
5. Ability to visit other Town buildings and locations for employee related issues.
1. Works inside in an office environment.
2. Performs a variety of general office and customer service duties in accordance with prescribed and well-established procedures in Human Resources Department.
All positions are regular full time unless stated otherwise. Employment applications for vacant positions may be submitted online, at Town Hall or by email. Each application must include the position title, and each position requires a separate application.
All submitted materials are subject to public disclosure by the Florida Public Records Act. The Town is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.