Under the daily supervision of the Lead Mechanic, the employee performs repair and reconditioning of automotive equipment such as automobiles, trucks, 2 cycle engines, and other specialized gasoline or diesel-powered equipment. Inspects transmissions, universal joints, and differentials.
This position pays an hourly rate of $20.10 - $32.16. It is a non- exempt position.
The Town provides 100% paid employee health insurance, dental insurance, long-term disability, life, and accidental death insurance. The Town also provides 50% paid dependent health insurance, a 401a retirement plan that is fully vested after three years, paid time off, and paid holidays. Employees have the option of purchasing additional life insurance, short-term disability insurance, accident insurance, critical illness insurance, and vision insurance at reduced rates.
This position will remain open until filled.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs cleaning, repairing, and adjusting of carburetors. Inspects and replaces spark plugs, ignition points, distributors, coils, generators, lights, and batteries. Inspects, repairs, and adjusts other parts as required. May be required to manually service equipment with exposure to gasoline, diesel, oil, and grease.
- Performs the maintenance and repair of heavy equipment.
- Performs emergency road service to equipment outside of garage.
- Creates and maintains maintenance records and reports.
- Performs welding and fabrication of equipment.
- Performs other related job duties as required.
- Conducts test drives of vehicles as required.
- Knowledge of construction, assembly, adjustment, and maintenance of a wide variety of auto, truck, maintenance, and construction equipment.
- Knowledge and ability to utilize all types of related mechanic shop tools.
- Knowledge of proper handling of chemicals related to mechanical repair.
- Knowledge of and ability to follow safety policies and procedures.
- Ability to repair diesel motors and pumps.
- Ability to diagnose worn or broken parts on engines and equipment.
- Ability to perform tune-ups, electrical, brake, air conditioning and cooling system, and exhaust system repairs; perform front end and clutch repairs. Repair pumps and related equipment.
- Skilled in applying methods and techniques to effectively execute automotive and diesel repairs.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform basic typing and computer skills (using email, preparing reports and work orders).
- Ability to use computerized inventory and fleet management software.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Minimum one (1) year experience employed as a mechanic.
Licenses, Certifications or Experience
- Must possess and maintain a valid State of Florida Class “B” commercial driver’s license with air brakes endorsement or ability to obtain within the time limit set by Town.
- Must have Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Brakes and Engine Repair Certifications or be able to obtain within one (1) year from date of employment.
Essential Physical Skills
- Ability to lift and carry over 45 pounds.
- Ability to reach, climb, distinguish colors, pull, push, walk, stand, crawl, kneel, bend, balance, stoop, and drive.
- Hand and eye coordination for safe equipment operation.
- Work inside of repair shop and office.
- Works outside in varying weather conditions with noise, dust fumes, grease or oils, electrical energy.
- Works around slippery and uneven surfaces.
- Works around moving objects and vehicles.
All positions are regular full time unless stated otherwise. All interested applicants must submit a letter of interest and resume. Employment applications for vacant positions may be submitted to Human Resources. All submitted materials are subject to public disclosure by the Florida Public Records Act. The Town is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.
Monday - Thursday
7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.