The Police Officer performs general duty police work including protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances.
This position pays an hourly rate of $19.24. It is a non-exempt position.
The Town provides 100% paid employee health insurance, dental insurance, long-term disability, life and accidental death insurance. The Town also provides 50% paid dependent health insurance, Police Pension (Town contributes 12.5%), paid time off, and paid holidays. Employees have the option of purchasing additional life insurance, short-term disability insurance, accident insurance, critical illness insurance, and vision insurance at reduced rates.
This position will remain open until filled.
- Uphold our shared employee values of knowledge, respect, and integrity. Demonstrate personal initiative and a consistently positive attitude.
- Meet the minimum requirements and standards established by Florida statutes.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Florida laws.
- Must be skilled in the use of firearms.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively and to determine the proper course of action to be taken.
- Demonstrate the ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously and tactfully, and with respect for the rights of others.
- Demonstrate the ability to learn the geography of the Town and its physical and social characteristics.
- Must have the ability to understand and carry out instructions.
- Must have the ability to read and write effectively.
- Must have the ability to communicate with individuals in person, on the telephone and the radio.
- Must have the ability to view a stationary display screen for extended periods of time.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) equivalency.
- Completion of the minimum standards courses as set forth by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement Division of Criminal Justice Standards.
- Must meet all entrance requirements established by the Department.
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License.
- Possession of a current Florida Law Enforcement Certification.
Essential Physical Skills
- The employee must have the ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position included color vision, close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must regularly lift and move up to 10 pounds; frequently lift and move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds.
- Employees in this position perform duties that require very fine dexterity and extreme muscle control, involving various body postures and physical activities.
- The employee must endure sustained acts of physical exhaustion and endure periods of duty under unfavorable and life-threatening
- The employee must be able to drive a patrol vehicle, possibly at high speeds.
- Must be able to operate a small computer.
All positions are regular full time unless stated otherwise. Employment applications are available upon request for vacant positions. These may be submitted in person at Town Hall or by fax. Each application must include the position title, and each position requires a separate application.
All submitted materials are subject to public disclosure by the Florida Public Records Act. The Town is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.