Public Works Operator 1 - Streets and Facilities
Semi-skilled manual labor position.
This position pays a salary of $25,001.60-$39,395.20 annually. It is a non-exempt position.
The Town provides 100% paid employee health insurance, dental insurance, long-term disability, life and accidental death insurance. The Town also provides 50% paid dependent health insurance, a 401a retirement plan that is fully vested after three years, paid time off, and paid holidays. Employees have the option of purchasing additional life insurance, short-term disability insurance, accident insurance, critical illness insurance, and vision insurance at reduced rates.
This position will remain open until filled.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Road maintenance, patch holes with asphalt or lime rock, and clear trees, brush and vegetation, mow right-of-ways, maintain retention ponds, install street signs, other maintenance functions as needed. Removes and installs concrete.
- Loads and unloads heavy material from trucks. Moves equipment and large bulky objects.
- Operate light to medium equipment. Operates dump and flatbed trucks, tractors, mowers and other equipment as needed.
- Maintain grounds. Rakes grass, waters plants, fertilizes and weeds flowerbeds. Shapes hedges, trim trees, shrub and cuts grass. May operate tractor-mower in mowing grass on right-of-way.
- Performs preventative maintenance and services equipment as scheduled. Maintains shop in clean and sanitary condition.
- Observes traffic control safety devices as necessary to ensure safe working conditions and procedures; directs traffic and place traffic signs as required.
- Perform on-call and post disaster response duties when needed.
- Knowledge of tools and equipment used in construction and maintenance activities, and perform minor repairs.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards connected with construction and maintenance.
- Ability to learn new methods of operating and maintaining tools and equipment.
- Ability to perform manual labor and effectively operate construction equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions.
- Ability to perform mathematical functions needed to complete tasks.
- Skilled in using hand tools.
- Knowledge of proper handling of work related chemicals.
- Knowledge of traffic and work zone safety policies and procedures to ensure safe working conditions for self and staff.
- Knowledge of proper street sign installation.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) equivalency.
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver License.
Essential Physical Skills
- Ability to lift and carry over 45 pounds.
- Ability to pull, push, walk, stand, kneel, bend, balance, and stoop.
- Ability to climb ladder.
- Ability to effectively, safely and efficiently operate equipment as needed.
All positions are regular full time unless stated otherwise. Employment applications for vacant positions may be submitted online, at Town Hall or by email. Each application must include the position title, and each position requires a separate application.
All submitted materials are subject to public disclosure by the Florida Public Records Act. The Town is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.
Monday - Thursday
7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.