Public Works Operator II — Streets and Facilities
Skilled manual labor position with supervisory duties.
The hourly range is $12.87 to $20.26. It is a non- exempt position.
The Town provides 100% paid employee health insurance, dental insurance, long-term disability, life and accidental death insurance. The Town also provides 50% paid dependent health insurance, a 401a retirement plan that is fully vested after three years, paid time off, and paid holidays. Employees have the option of purchasing additional life insurance, short-term disability insurance, accident insurance, critical illness insurance, and vision insurance at reduced rates.
This position will remain open until filled.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Road maintenance, patch holes with asphalt or lime rock, trims and clears trees, brush and vegetation, mow right-of-ways, maintain retention ponds, installs street signs, maintains storm water systems, and other maintenance functions as needed. Removes and installs concrete.
- Loads and unloads heavy material from trucks. Moves equipment and large bulky objects. Performs custodial duties.
- Operate light to heavy equipment. Operates bush hog, tractors, and mowers. Operates dump and flatbed trucks, tractors, mowers, and other equipment as neededt.
- Maintain grounds. Rakes grass and waters plants. Fertilizes and weeds flowerbeds. Shapes hedges, trim trees, and shrubs, etc. Cuts grass. May operate tractor-mower in mowing grass on right-of-way.
- Performs preventative maintenance and services equipment as scheduled. Maintains shop in clean and sanitary condition.
- Ensures work zone safety measures are implemented to ensure safe working conditions and procedures; directs traffic and places traffic signs and cones as required.
- Perform on-call and post disaster response duties when needed.
- May provide supervision to other operators as needed.
[These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required.]
- Knowledge of tools and equipment used in construction and maintenance, and perform minor repairs.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards connected with construction and laboring work.
- Ability to learn new methods of operating and maintaining tools and equipment.
- Ability to perform manual labor and effectively operate construction equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions.
- Ability to perform mathematical functions needed to complete tasks.
- Ability to perform basic electrical and plumbing tasks.
- Skilled in using hand tools.
- Knowledge of traffic and work zone safety policies and procedures to ensure safe working conditions for self and staff.
- Knowledge of proper street sign installation.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) equivalency.
- At least two years or more experience in manual labor, including the operation of light, medium, and heavy construction equipment.
[A comparable amount of training, education or experience may be substituted for the above minimum qualifications.]
Licenses, Certifications, or Registrations
- Must have a State of Florida Class “B” CDL with air brakes endorsement.
- Work Zone Safety Certification or the ability to obtain certification within one year of employment.
Essential Physical Skills
- Ability to lift and carry over 45 pounds.
- Ability to pull, push, walk, stand, kneel, bend, balance, and stoop.
All positions are regular full time unless stated otherwise. Employment applications for vacant positions may be submitted online, at Town Hall or by email. Each application must include the position title, and each position requires a separate application.
All submitted materials are subject to public disclosure by the Florida Public Records Act. The Town is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.
Monday - Thursday
7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.