Utility Locator and Mechanic
The Utility Locator and Mechanic performs skilled manual work repairing equipment related to utility systems. This position reports to the Utilities Supervisor.
This position pays an hourly rate of $14.09. It is a non-exempt position.
The Town provides 100% paid employee health insurance, dental insurance, long-term disability, life and accidental death insurance. The Town also provides 50% paid dependent health insurance, a 401a retirement plan that is fully vested after three years, paid time off, and paid holidays. Employees have the option of purchasing additional life insurance, short-term disability insurance, accident insurance, critical illness insurance, and vision insurance at reduced rates.
This position will remain open until filled.
- Uphold our shared employee values of knowledge, respect, and integrity. Demonstrate personal initiative and a consistently positive attitude.
- Must have the ability to assist with repair of utility line breaks as needed.
- Demonstrate the ability to remove pumps on lift stations to perform maintenance including removal of debris from impeller and ability to remove and check valve flappers.
- Must have the ability to adjust packing on pumps check values shafts.
- Demonstrate the ability to remove, clean and replace sump pumps.
- Must have the ability to replace bearings and seals on motors and pumps; repair piping leaks on bubble liners; adjust and repair float hangers; repair and maintain electrical pump control panels.
- Must have the ability to maintain and degrease wet wells.
- Demonstrate the ability to organize tools and safety equipment for vehicles in use.
- Demonstrate the ability to work on generators.
- Must perform miscellaneous repairs and preventative maintenance on the treatment plants.
- Must perform general housekeeping functions on lift stations including mowing and line-trimming grass, painting equipment, and maintaining lift station buffers.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform plant operational duties.
- Ability to inspect newly installed utility systems, lines and lift stations.
- Demonstrate ability to locates utilities per Sunshine One Call, and coordinate related correspondence.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the operation and maintenance of water and sewage pumps, motors and related equipment and electrical panels.
- Demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot and make decisions.
- Demonstrate the skill to use all standards mechanical tools, power tools, shop equipment, and electrical meters.
- Demonstrate the ability to operate small computers to prepare correspondence, email, and memorandums.
- Demonstrate the ability to work alone with only general supervision and direction.
- Requires shift work, holiday work, weekend work, and on-call duties when needed.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) equivalency.
- Two years in the maintenance and repair of water and sewer pumps, motors, electrical panels and related equipment.
- One-year line locator experience.
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License.
- Possession of a current “C” Distribution License and “C” Collection License Certification or a Class “C” Water and Class “C” Wastewater Plant Operators License Certification or ability to obtain certification within the timeframe set by supervisor.
- Possession of a current Class “B” Florida CDL with air brakes endorsement required.
Essential Physical Skills
- The employee must have the ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position included color vision, close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must regularly lift and move up to 10 pounds; frequently lift and move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds.
- Employees in this position perform duties that require very fine dexterity and extreme muscle control, involving various body postures and physical activities.
- Must be able to use respiratory and other Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Must be able to operate a small computer.
All positions are regular full time unless stated otherwise. Employment applications for vacant positions may be submitted online, at Town Hall or by email. Each application must include the position title, and each position requires a separate application.
All submitted materials are subject to public disclosure by the Florida Public Records Act. The Town is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.